Alex proudly told me last week that he ate pumpkin pie and cranberries at school. He was excited about eating them for Thanksgiving. So, Campbell, Alex and I were doing some pre-Thanksgiving shopping. I offer to buy some whole berry cranberries for him. He is ready to indulge in them with his peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch...so excited!
The horror! Imagine a five year old boy sounding like a tiger with a look on his face to match. I have failed. "These are NOT the cranberries, mom!" He went on for no kidding, 10+ minutes completely having a meltdown at our house. I couldn't help but laugh. There were no tears just a crazy, mad sound. He even told me that I was the worst mom because I got the wrong cranberries! Man, motherhood is a tough ride sometimes.
I offered to go to the grocery store before we picked up Conleigh from school. We go. Of course, I find the same can of whole-berry cranberries, but I'm not making that mistake again. I put a package of real cranberries in our basket and think, "I cannot believe that Ms. Elva would make these for the kids." We make our way to the deli and I try to explain to the deli lady that we are looking for cranberry sauce with the berry. The very kind woman offers to open a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce (just to confirm that this mom bought the same thing and it isn't correct for Alexander). She opens, and he does indeed confirm that it is NOT the right stuff. She then offers to open the fresh cranberry sauce that the deli makes. He again, turns up his nose and tells us no. "Mom, they are supposed to look like raisins!!" The deli worker then walks him to the bakery and points at a cake and asks Alex if they look like that? Eureka! We hit the jackpot!
Craisins! Why would I have guessed anything else? Why did his preschool teacher say those were cranberries?
My Pilgrim who loves Cranberries!
And one of my turkey's too...





No comments:
Post a Comment