Thursday, January 15, 2009

Down with Mother's Guilt

I'm using the same title as MckMama today - Down with Mother's Guilt - because I thought it was perfect. Her story of the day inspired me to write mine.

This morning Alex, Campbell and I were at the largest retailer in America (I'll let you figure out where we were). When things started to melt down, I was so close to being done. I just needed a couple of things from the frozen food aisle. Oh please, please let me get these things and we'll go, I promise.
I hadn't given them credit for how well behaved they had been during our outing. They were so good I hadn't even noticed. I don't think I had to correct them at all. We were just a happy little crew making our way through the store.
As I turned the corner onto the frozen food aisle, Campbell saw something and she wanted to see it, NOW! I tried to tell her that we would go across the aisle as soon as I picked up the frozen items. She got L-O-U-D. Honestly, her screams didn't freak me out or make me abandon my efforts to get groceries. I moved a little faster but the screaming didn't bother me really. Have you been there friends? Can I get an Amen?
The card restocking woman had seen us turn onto the aisle. She knew I was this crying 2-year olds mother! Campbell was screaming. I was at the other end of the aisle, cart turned towards Campbell and walking towards my screaming child who was holding a box of cupcakes.
The card lady walks over to Campbell and says, "are you lost? Where is your mommy?" I speak up and say, "She's mine. She's just having a fit." That lady saw me, she knew exactly what was going on. I guess the screaming bothered her more than me. Campbell was mad, but she was fine.
As we walked across the aisle to see what couldn't be waited for, the woman glanced at me from her card aisle. I just smiled at her.
Guess what it was across the aisle that Campbell couldn't bear to wait a couple of minutes to see?


Pinatas.


We checked out every dora, Hannah Montana, princess, sponge bob, transformer pinata that was there. Instant delight from both children.

So, yes, as we walked towards the pinatas, the card restocker-woman had gotten my goat a little. She was trying to make me feel guilty for letting my child cry. It worked for a little bit...until I read McKmama today, and I am totally -Down with mother's Guilt.-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound like the smile at the card stock lady was a good way to go. I might not have been so nice.
Every week I end my trip to Wegmans with a dirty faced screaming almost two year old. GOOD TIMES!
Bridget

Teena in Toronto said...

Poor you :(

Happy blogoversary!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Oh I've been there done that a FEW TIMES! LOL I raised 5!
But, for the life of me I can't figure out that card lady. What was her deal? I don't think I would have smiled! I might not even given her the time of day!
Thanks for stopping by!