Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!


Today my dad is celebrating his birthday. We had the family celebration over the weekend at my parents house in Houston. His wife(my mom), 2 daughters, 2 sons-in-law, and 5 grandchildren were all there to celebrate with him!
Today a friend was telling me a story and it reminded me of a funny story about my dad. When I was graduating from A&M, I thought for sure I would have a job and go out on my own. Turns out, I didn't have a job. I remember calling home and saying, "Dad, I think I'm going to have to move home." He replied with, "that's okay. We'll just add a little more water to the soup and we'll be fine." I love that story. With humor, he was telling me that he loved me and would welcome me home.
Other things I love about my dad:
*he is a hard worker and has loved his career as an engineer.
* he made me take typing in 8th grade. No one ever thinks about typing but I am so glad I know how to do it.
* he saved a college fund for my sister and I that put us throught 4 years of college and beyond, and he taught me how to save as well.
* he is so smart. I feel like I can ask him about most any topic and he knows something about it
* he is soft spoken, but when he talks, I love to listen!
* he has always been supportive of my efforts and interests, from gymnastics and swimming when I was younger, to my college activities and now my part-time work and his grandchildren.
*he is a good friend
There isn't enough time in a day to write all the things I love about my dad. I am so thankful that God gave him to me! Happy Birthday Dad!

1 comment:

M&L said...

What a great post. Sounds like an incredible man. We enjoyed reading this.